Sunday, February 8, 2009

My shopping trip adventure.

I caused a car accident yesterday! Eric was working on homework and I needed to pick up lettuce for the PF Changs lettuce wraps I was making (amazing!!!) so I decided to walk Scotty to the store to take up more time.

On our way home I was crossing a busy street where there is a crosswalk but no stoplight. I waited on the corner for a few, planning to cross when the light turned red. Then I saw a cop driving up. He slowed down a long ways before me, but I waited until he was at a complete stop to step into the road because drivers around here don't seem to pay too much attention and I didn't want to get hit--especially with Scotty in a stroller. In the next lane over there were three cars. I wouldn't have crossed then because of the traffic, but when a car stops for you, you feel obligated to cross!

Still, I waited a few more seconds because I knew EXACTLY what was going to happen. The first car was debating about stopping or going through--do you pass the cop and get a ticket for not yielding to a pedestrian in a crosswalk? Or do you stop, knowing the car behind you isn't paying attention? She stopped. Then got rammed by the car behind her. And almost got hit again by the car behind that.

I finished crossing the street. When I got to the other side, I turned around to see if I needed to stay--I had been a witness after all! The cop had already backed his car into the other lane, flicked his lights on, and wandered happily up to talk to the drivers.

Makes me wonder if he did it on purpose...and I almost hope he did, because I'm always nervous as a pedestrian about getting hit by cars that aren't paying attention!

It was the most interesting shopping trip I've ever had.

3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you weren't in the accident, and that Scotty is feeling better!

Brooke said...

haha, I don't know what I would have done in this situation! It's a good thing you and Scotty weren't hurt. There are some crazy drivers in Provo. I know the cross walk you are talking about and it is a gamble every time you cross there...

Mimi Collett said...

Wow! And I agree! Drivers do not pay enough attention at crosswalks. I understand that it is near impossible to notice people on corners without crosswalks, especially at night, if they're wearing dark clothes. But if there is a crosswalk, you're supposed to glance both ways to see if you need to stop! Aargh. I feel bad for the lady in the first car, and I bet the person in the second car feels really dumb. I feel bad for him. I hope he has good insurance. I am glad it sounds like no one got hurt.