Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sweet Candy

The sign language increases--today's word was "candy" (or sweet) as in, would you like food or sweets? I didn't decide to teach him this because I really wanted to give that choice (which would you pick, Mac & Cheese or a brownie?!) but because I'm curious about how quickly he can learn a new sign and I wanted something distinctly different.

"Sweet" is signed by placing your index finger on your cheek with the rest of your hand in a loose fist, and twisting back and forth, as in "ahhh, dimples..."

I demonstrated a few times at lunch today and picked it up during the volleyball game we attended tonight when Scotty was begging for pieces of my mint. He got the finger to the cheek thing on the first try, but the twisting motion seemed to escape him. He tried the wormy caterpillar. He tried the repetitive poking. Finally, it clicked, only by this time his finger had slid forward.

He looked at me happily and signed "pick my nose." I've never seen a boy so proud!

With the exception of the time he tried to give himself a wet willy, he's been pretty good at it since then. In case you were wondering, the sound effect he's given to "sweet" is a lot like "please"--very melodic and singsong. Might as well whistle a happy a tune while you pick your nose, cute boy!

2 thoughts:

Sarah Roberts said...

ha ha- this mad me giggle

Mimi Collett said...

I am way impressed! :) Is this sign language a baby version or straight up ASL? (I apologize for my ignorance.) :)