Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Communicating.

It's official. Scotty communicates. Don't misunderstand me--he doesn't talk. He occasionally says mama, dada, nana, baba (for his Papa), he "yows" for cats, and "YAWR"s for lions/tigers/hippos. He says "yeah" and "no" and gets them exactly backward.

But he communicates. Teaching this kid baby sign language was the best thing I ever did. He usually strings two or three signs together, with his favorite phrase being "more" "candy" "please". Here are scotty's words:

please
milk
more (again)
food
candy/sweet
all done
thank you (he blows kisses, actually...)
drink (sometimes)

and we're working on "change" (as in, change my diaper!) and "dirty". Is it a bad sign when you're daydreaming about potty training?

Still, it is SO nice that he tells me what he wants. Now he'll walk up to me, give me a hug to sweeten me up, then take my hand and walk me to the kitchen and sign "food please". Hard not to fall for that one ;o)

5 thoughts:

Sarah Roberts said...

wow- that is awesome and so cute!

Lindsay & Nick said...

thats awesome, I love it. Gavin goes for a more direct route, but I'm not sure it's better. A 18 month old walking around yeling "eat" "eat" "eat" gets old fast. and his newest phrase? "it's your shoe" and retrieves every shoe in the house. Shoes are constantly in a pile in the middle of the living room. Thats a battle I've given up on. Gavin isn't a big fan of sign language, we've only got more and all done, and more is the only consistant one, oh well. Thats awesome that he's linking signs together!

Mimi Collett said...

That is really, really cool. :) I like the new banner, too.

Anonymous said...

What a cool new blog design - I LOVE it.

April said...

Isn't signing great?! I swear by it with my boys. Love the new blog stuff. :)