Monday, January 26, 2009

"Life is the Bubbles" (aka) Childhood Role Models

Scotty's current thing is watching The Little Mermaid. Yes, this was my favorite growing up, but I have tried to expose him to other classics, including Finding Nemo, Sword in the Stone, Oliver and Company, and Toy Story. Still, he picks The Little Mermaid off the shelf every time, and will happily sit in his rocking chair during the ENTIRE thing.

It got me thinking about role models we create for our children. Nursery rhymes and disney movies: what are we THINKING?! I've devised a little guessing game to illustrate my point. I'll sum up the plot, and you identify the movie/story/song.

1. Children out for a walk, trip and fall, and break their heads open.

2. Teenager thinks she's ready to make her own decisions, disobeys dad, convinces friends to keep hiding the truth, and tries to kiss a man who doesn't even know her name. No mother in this story.

3. Mom is killed. Gets shot at. Throws his competition off a cliff. Dad says two words to him during his entire life.

4. How to recognize if you're dying of the plague.

5. Child born with birth defect. Mother is jailed for trying to protect her child. Best advice comes from a mouse.

6. Person falls off a wall and is too mangled to ever be fixed.

7. Girl is loved by her father, who dies tragically young after remarrying. Unless you have mice friends who can sew, you'll be stuck as family slave forever.

8. Parents have a beautiful and beloved child, but give her away to be raised by three strange women in a forest.

9. Have a wonderful mom and dad, but people sneak into the house anyway and steal you away. New parents want to skin you to fashion their fall wardrobe.

10. Stealing is ok if you're in a big city, and you can sing.

11. Available men in town are so undesirable that it's better to marry a different species.


Ok, in actuality, I love disney movies, and I find nursery rhymes a great way to keep Scotty entertained. But it does make me think...

Belle--great dad, no mom
Cinderella--great deceased dad (we assume), evil stepmother and stepsisters
Jasmine--doting dad, no mom
Snow White--no parents, 12 short men
Ariel--great (if stern) dad, no mom

I guess you can't be a princess if you have a mom. Oh, well. My mom is too great. I'd pick her over a princessdom anyday :o)

5 thoughts:

Jenae said...

1. Jack and Jill
2. The liitle mermaid, but Glenn wants me to remind you that she also sold her soul to the devil to get what she wanted!! Glenn hates this movie but I loved it to growing up so I bought it for myself then had my mother-in-law give it to me for christmas because Glenn can't take back a gift from his mother!!
3.Bambi
4.Ring around the rosie
5.Dumbo
6.Cinderella
7.Sleeping Beauty
8.101 Dalmations
9.Oliver and Company
10. Beauty and the Beast

And doesn't snow white only have 7 duarfs... who are the other 5 men. You said she had 12 men around her!!!

Glenn also hates pocohontas because she is a tree hugger... I got it as a present from my grandmother who died so I got to keep that one too in memory of her!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I hadn't realized that Beauty and The Beast and The Little Mermaid have the SAME PLOT. (Don't know why that surprises me.)
Thank you for the lovely compliment darling. You'll always be a princess to me :)
Love Mom

Sarah Roberts said...

LOL!!!!! You think too much Meg- but I totally agree!

April said...

Have you noticed with most (if not all) the Disney/Pixar animated films there is not a properly functioning home aka mom and dad. There is one or the other, but I can't think of one where there is both. That really does bother me, but of course not enough to have them stop watching the movies... No matter, right now my boys are very into superhero movies, and they are way better roll models...(said with great sarcasm)

Mimi Collett said...

Hehe, my mom actually hated the Little Mermaid, so I totally didn't grow up with it. I've only seen it once. I do love the songs though. :) It sure is funny to read your little break downs of them!