Saturday, August 28, 2010

Two Weeks


If the last two weeks are what life with two kids was really like, I'd be in heaven. Eric had two weeks of paid paternity leave and it's been wonderful having him around to lend a hand. An even kid-to-parent ratio really helps in those moments where both kids are crying. It's hard to meet two separate sets of needs at the same time! And I feel bad always making Scotty wait just because he's more capable of being patient. Don't want to push my luck too much by making him wait for everything because he really is a sweet kid...  it's also been great to have Eric around just to hang out! Every night feels like date night where we get to talk and play games after the kids are in bed. Of course we've been silly and stayed up until 1am every night instead of getting ahead on sleep, but it's just so nice to be together.


It also helps that Alyssa is a much more manageable baby than Scotty was (at least, so far!). Here is her two week update:

Height: 20.75 inches (apparently she stretched out an extra inch when she finally had room to move)
Weight: somewhere around 7-8 pounds. Is it bad that I never took her back to the pediatrician just to make sure she was over birth weight? I guess I'm a super relaxed parent but with the way this girl eats, well, input=output. She's getting plenty.
Nicknames: Lyssabear, Lizard Lady (she does weird tongue things), baby bird, chipmunk (she squeaks in her sleep)
Favorite activity: eating
Second favorite activity: trying to eat. She'll root for anything. If she's awake, she thinks she needs to be eating. Today's activity is teaching her to suck on a pacifier.
Third favorite activity: watching and listening to the Scotty Show. He's quite entertaining.
She also likes Nana's singing, Daddy's snoring, and interesting noises. She's not even phased by Timbre's crazy barking.
Funniest features: the hair on the back of her head has decided to stick straight up like Alfalfa. It's 2 inches long and curls backward like a peacock. Also, we laugh whenever she gets startled because she makes crazy faces, like this one:

Her umbilical cord finally fell off last night and she's starting to learn that night time is for sleeping. She usually does a 4 or 5 hour stretch at night, sometimes two. She doesn't spit up at all, which is very different from Scotty so it looks like she doesn't have the reflux problems that he did. Her only fussy time tends to be the early evening, where she thinks she needs to eat every hour and the constant snacking keeps her from really falling asleep. Here's hoping the pacifier helps mama get some dinner time rest!

P.S. I don't have many pictures of this sweet girl because my mom has been snapping photos like crazy on her VERY nice camera. Here's hoping I get a cd of those pictures soon so I can share them! (hint, hint...)

P.P.S. I'm not posting a picture of me because I look FABULOUS and it's almost not fair that I had a baby only two weeks ago. Hey, I deserve at least ONE break in this whole pregnancy deal, right?

3 thoughts:

Kaitie Jayne said...

For a second I was afraid you had posted that picture of Alyssa because you thought it was a good picture! =) I love her crazy face!

Anonymous said...

Post a picture of Megan. Post a picture of Megan.
Other than that missing item, it's a great update.

Kira: said...

Yes, you do look fabulous. But I guess you threw up for 9 months, and with my pregnancy I only threw up for 5.5, so....

BTW, I saw your post on my blog- I'm sure Rich won't mind you coming for a week or two :-) He's not around that much anyway, and I want you to come!!! It was so fun seeing you. Melody is wondering why we can't play with Scotty today.