Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Some traditions (apparently) can't be broken.

I've been posting about how different my two birth experiences were, and I was surprised by how different this pregnancy was from the first time around (overall, much worse, unfortunately!). Still, there are some traditions that apparently can't be broken.

My kids are 3 years and two days apart. After huffing and puffing my way around Provo very pregnant all summer with no air conditioning in our car and a small portable unit in our house, I swore I would never again have an August baby. Then I moved to AZ where the temperatures regularly hit 110 and July-August is a humid monsoon season and did it all over again. Next time (if there is a next time), I'm hoping for May.

And then there was this.



























The day after coming home from the hospital with my newborn baby and lots of trauma and bloodloss, the city erected a power pole in our backyard. The power was off all morning at our house and I was forced to retreat to the public library with a three day old infant. I still owe a big thank you to our old neighbors, the Harmons, for letting me take a nap at their house while the cottage cooled back down!


This time there was no power pole, just the realization at 2am on Friday morning that our air conditioning was off. We're pretty sure it must have gone out sometime that evening but at 2am it was 85 degrees inside. Scotty slept through the night without stirring while Eric and I experimented with our evaporative cooler and turned all the ceiling fans on high. Once it was morning we packed the kids up and headed to my mom's house, where I spent the day in coolness while Eric waited for the repair guy. It's always an emergency when your AC breaks in AZ on a day with 109 degree temps, but it's especially difficult when you have a 6 day old infant and a recovering new mama.
I'm glad we got that tradition over with! Except we didn't, apparently. Just as we were headed to bed last night (and Eric was about to jump in the shower), the power went out. With clear skies and a full moon all we had to do was open the blinds to navigate our silent house. No AC is bad, but no fans and no AC is noticeably worse. According to the power company it only affected our square mile block. Fortunately both kids slept through it (after Scotty got upset that his night light had turned off) and after a cold shower the power kicked back on after an hour.


Any other adventures in store?

0 thoughts: