Monday, August 16, 2010

The Highpoints

Every day has its ups and downs, its surprises and its awkward moments. 
Here's the breakdown for Alyssa's arrival:


Most encouraging comment: this is a tie between two. First, my fortune cookie at dinner Friday night (as I beginning to go into labor, unbeknownst to all of us) said: "keep up the great work. You will be rewarded by the end of the month." I think I'll save that one. Second was the news that my hard work was paying off and I was at a 9. It was at that moment that I got a burst of confidence that I really could do this.

Most surprising moment: actually feeling the baby come out! You'd think I would have experienced this before but with Scotty they actually had to sit me up before I believed his head was out, as I couldn't feel a thing. As much as birth can be a beautiful thing, this is still an odd sensation. And a RELIEF.

Best comment: from my nurse to my skeptical ob: "don't be fooled by how calm she seems. she's having spectacular contractions!"

Hardest moment: being unprepared for an intense contraction--the reality for me is that labor is pain and sometimes more than your body can handle, which means it responds by going into shock for a second or two

Most awkward moment: Realizing that something was coming out and I couldn't stop it, which led to Eric catching something between my legs while I was standing over a hard tile floor with no nurses in the room (they were both off looking for doctors and came back with a somewhat overwhelmed looking resident!). It was only the amniotic sac but we had no way of knowing whether it had a baby in it or not! Eric gets bonus points for quick reflexes. I think he credits that to nerves of steel and video game reflexes.

Funniest request: "Eric, can you brush your teeth?" Suddenly, after hours of contractions and hard work, something about his middle of the night breath in my ear while supporting me during a contraction was too much. Fortunately mom had tic tacs in her purse :o) Sweet husband was not at all offended or annoyed by my request. He probably would have stood on his head if I told him it would help me.

Most useful tool: moving around a lot. I could handle a few contractions in just about any position as long as I didn't stay there too long. I think moving helped give me something concrete to focus on as well as make the pain change a little between muscle groups. At the end it felt so nice to walk around and let gravity do its thing.


"In your face!" moment: Seeing the ob who had told me at 5am that he was breaking my water in two hours walk into my room 10 minutes after I had delivered and be able to just smile up at him innocently. In the end I was glad my baby came to a wonderfully trained resident who trusted me and my nurses and let me do it my way. I know if my first ob had been on the other end of the delivery table I would have gotten commands I'm pretty sure I would have ignored and I know he would have cut me to just hurry the baby out.


Sweetest moment: holding my beautiful baby girl right after delivery. I wasn't sure I wanted to do that as with Scotty I knew something was wrong and felt horrible realizing that I didn't want to hold my baby. I told Eric to watch out for me and make sure it was what I wanted so I wouldn't feel like a bad mom for turning away my baby. He was very careful of my feelings and I realized that holding my sweet baby girl on my chest was the most amazing moment in the world. After months of waiting and working I felt like the three of us were literally in heaven for a few beautiful minutes.


Would I do it this way again? Ask me in a few months.




I'm pretty sure the answer will be convincingly yes.

8 thoughts:

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

cute post! Although I must say.. LITERALLY in heaven?!?!?!?!? love yoU!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

cute post! Although I must say.. LITERALLY in heaven?!?!?!?!? love yoU!

The Roz's said...

Another amazing post! Brought tears to my eyes, child birth is indescribable!
I thought that feeling of a the baby coming out was awesome! When I had Davey, the epidural was wearing off so I go to feel it with both kids. It's amazing!
Thank goodness for wonderful supportive husbands, mine was my greatest help in labor =D
Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and feeling, it's sweet to read!

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story. You're an inspiration. I hope to have a natural childbirth too (hopefully in 3-5 weeks!). I hope it goes as well as yours. I hope I get a tub.

Sarah Ewell said...

Congrats Meg! (and Eric!) You did it! I'm so glad you had a good experience, and that you got your sweet baby Alyssa here safe and sound, your way.

I'm so happy for you. I loved the story. It was a good one. And I'm glad you had good medical staff there who let you do it right. Yay!

April said...

I am dying laughing about 'the brush your teeth' comment! Isn't it amazing what our husbands put up with when we are bearing their children! ;)

I also love the 'spectacular contractions' comment-that is awesome!

My epidural was wearing off with Ella and I was able to really feel it at the end (nothing like what you went through, I'm sure - but still) and it is such an amazing, intense feeling. I however did not get to hold her right after :( It was so sad for me, oh the joys of a preemie. I'm so glad you had that moment and actually wanted to hold her. :)

Ob doctors are so ridiculous sometimes, they really drive me crazy. I'm glad you were able to shove it in his face! But mostly I'm glad you were able to do it your way!!

P.S. It's a good thing we have blogs so we can "talk" to each other! It is probably the most convient for both of us in our sleep deprived haze and busy lives. :)

We need more pictures of baby Alyssa!!

Brenton and Adree Jensen said...

Beautiful! Meg, I'm so happy for you that you were able to have a birth the way you wanted it! What a blessing! You are so strong! And she is beautiful!

Anni Winings said...

Thanks for writing all this out Megs. It was great for me to be able to read it. It will definitely be good reference material, in case I ever have another baby.