Thursday, April 9, 2009

Only in Utah

So, I spend a lot of time working in the chemistry department at Provo High to complete my observation hours (which I've now finished 97! only three more to go!!). I help out in one main classroom tutoring, grading, filing, prepping demonstrations, and even teaching occasionally. Today I was grading lab reports about nuclear chemistry when I read something that cracked me up and could only happen here in Utah.

Let me explain the background. In chemistry, mass is conserved in reactions, meaning you can't create or destroy matter. This is called the Law of Conservation of Mass. In nuclear chemistry, the amount of energy and heat released is so great that some mass is actually converted to energy (ever heard of E=mc^2? E is energy and m is mass....) so nuclear chemistry doesn't follow the same conservation of mass as regular chemistry.

This student's response?

"Nuclear chemistry doesn't follow the law of consecration."

Taking out student loans and juggling a toddler with completing a master's program: Expensive. Capturing moments like this: Priceless.

3 thoughts:

KateHazen said...

That is seriously hilarious! I would love to know who it was that put that. Only at Provo High! You should go on Monday the 20th. I'm gonna stop by when school is over to talk to Christie for a bit and it'd be fun if you were there too!

Sarah Roberts said...

hilarious!!! Thanks for coming to my thesis defense! It was great to see you!

Anonymous said...

What a crackup! Thanks for sharing. You brightened my day!