Have you ever read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?Today was one of those days, where everything that can go crazy becomes chaos, and by the end of it you almost have to laugh because it's just getting ridiculous. Ok, I'm exaggerating. I've had days like that, and today wasn't nearly that bad--but it was interesting.
We worked at the treatment center this weekend, which made it harder to catch General Conference. We still listened to most of it, though please share your favorite moments from the Sunday afternoon session because our radio broadcast was punctuated by lots of yelling. Usually Sundays are pretty low key, which helps it feel more peaceful. Last week we had one little girl come in for a few hours. This week? 11 kids for dinner. We work there to help the kids out, who are often innocent victims of their parents lack of responsibility or control. Still, it is getting harder and harder to handle the irresponsible parents that manipulate the system. Would you ever just decide not to pick your kids up from the babysitter? Or decide to go to the hospital instead of pick them up and not inform anyone? when you don't have a cell phone or any way to reach you? Yeah, I didn't think so.
I don't want to turn this into a rant, because really, we're all feeling much better now. Eric is downing the Tums to fight off a nasty stomach virus, I finally had time to jump in the shower, and Scotty is drugged with baby tylenol to reduce the gum swelling (two of the four incisors have FINALLY popped through!) and calamine lotion and anti-fungal cream to fight off a nasty diaper rash that somehow chaffed all the way down his legs....
Having a sad, sick little boy does have an upside:

he becomes a great snuggler.
P.S. yes, you can see the calamine lotion and the anti-fungal cream in this picture, and yes, I am using our unpacked duffle bag of dirty clothes as a pillow (and please don't comment on the hair! just be glad this picture isn't scratch and sniff). If you look closely you can see the bandaids on my fingers from where I cut myself this weekend....twice....
P.P.S. Want to know what's making us smile in this picture? We're watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. It's the kind of show that makes you believe in the goodness of people and actually want more kids :o)
P.P.S. Want to know what's making us smile in this picture? We're watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. It's the kind of show that makes you believe in the goodness of people and actually want more kids :o)




1 thoughts:
I'm sorry that you had a rough shift! We're working this coming Sunday, and I'm curious what adventures it will bring! :)
Post a Comment