Thursday, July 31, 2008

Little boys are so sweet...


I feel like I've been sharing way too much negativism recently, which really isn't accurate anyway. Afterall, despite the ups and downs, I get to spend all of my time with an adorable little monkey! He always finds a way to make me smile.

For instance, he dug an empty toothpaste box out of the trash, and while I generally don't encourage dumpster diving, he's been pushing it around the house for the last hour making truck noises...he's a cute little cheeky monkey :o)Just seeing him play with the toothpaste box reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, courtesy of Marjorie Pay Hinckley--"there is always something to be grateful for. Even on a bad day, your toothbrush is a wonderful little invention."

Speaking of Marjorie Pay Hinckley, while we were in Salt Lake this weekend we drove to the cemetery by the capital building and visited the graves of the Hinckleys. They are buried at the top of a steep hill with a beautiful view over the valley, and the monument in front of the headstones explains that the markers were made from excess granite from the temple and the conference center. How perfect, after all the stories Pres. Hinckley shared about the podium in the conference center being built from his tree! I also love that Sis. Hinckley's stone says "Beloved Eternal Companion." If i have any model for marriage (besides my parents of course), it is definitely the Hinckleys. Eric and I decided long ago that we wanted to be "cute" when we got old, and never get tired of holding hands or exchanging winks.

There was also a sign and a ribbon barrier around the stones posted by the Hinckley children, thanking us for visiting their parents' graves but asking us nicely to stay back a little bit so the new grass could grow. I guess there are just so many of us who were touched by their lives and feel like somehow we knew them personally!


P.S. How can you not fall in love with a sweet little boy who nows says "please" instead of whining? This isn't the best or the cutest, but it is video proof of his newest--and definitely BEST--trick!

4 thoughts:

Mamie said...

HI! I am so excited I just found your blog through the Jensen's site. Yeah for the internet!!!
What a total cutie you have there. I can't wait to explore the archives and get to know him a little better.

Taylor said...

Thanks for your Madeline poem. I wish I could say that Nerdy fit better, but right now she is more nice. but we are working on the nerdy. hahaha. Scotty signing please is adorable! My mom said that he was delightful, cute and a remarkable sleeper when you guys stayed with her (I'm so jealouse, BTW both of the sleeping and of the staying with my mom).

Melanie said...

Scotty's "please" is adorable! Megan, he's such an adaptable little cutey, we loved having you at our home last weekend! You and Eric are excellent parents, and Scotty was amazingly great. I think climbing our stairs was a grand adventure for your little guy, and he did so well.

Unknown said...

That's my boy!! Brilliant signing (and brilliant parenting on your part!). I am SOO DELIGHTED he did this for US to see. He's so casual and nonchalant in this video, it cracks me up. I loved seeing you this last week.

Yes Melanie is wonderful, and Scotty was perfect. Funny how that works when you're away from home, right? We do have something for your "cheeky monkey" when we come up in 3 weeks. Fresh from UK and looks just like your little rascal :)
Love,
Mom