Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Eric's Biking Adventure

So, coming home from a girl's day at the pool with our adorable babies, I discovered I had missed a call from Eric telling me he had been in a bike accident on his way back to work from lunch...fortunately, his brother Stephen (we owe you brownies or something!) left his job to pick Eric up and take him to the health center, gushing blood from his hands but otherwise fairly uninjured.

I rushed home, grabbed only the essentials (Scotty in his car seat, my wallet, keys, and Reese's for Eric) and raced to the health center, still in my swimsuit with only a sundress over it. Come to find out, it would take another hour for two nurses to remove all of the gravel from his hands, including some shots to the sensitive nerves in his hands that Eric says were worse than the digging. I sat somewhat self-conciously feeling TOTALLY IMMODEST in the waiting room while Scotty napped sweetly in his carseat, worn out from his adventures at the pool. They didn't want to bring me back into the room because they didn't want me to pass out...turns out that was a wise move, because just having Eric describe what his hands looked like on the way home was enough to make me have to pull over, put my head between my legs, and finally run out of the car and throw up on a random person's lawn! Quite the adventure...

Still, Eric was lucky in that he didn't sustain any injuries other than the gravel embedded in his palms, which are healing nicely and have been well bandaged to avoid infection. He had to go the the health center for 2 follow up appointments and was on preventative antibiotics and advil until the swelling went down, but all seems to be well now. He can even shower without having to wrap his hands in plastic bags...


He did play Wii boxing the other day because he felt inspired by his new look.

And for those who are squeamish, i made this small so you don't have to look, but it's really not that bad anymore. It's only bad if you imagine the rock burying its way deep into his hand and leave a three inch gash... OK, STOPPING NOW!


For you Martha, our decidedly NOT-squeamish friend, you can have a better if you click on the picture.

5 thoughts:

RAL said...

Yikes the poor guy! I'm glad to hear it is healing well. And I'm so so SOOOO glad you made that picture small! :)

Grant, Sarah, Edwin, and Leland said...

Wow, what a bummer and a somewhat cool way to realize how essential our hands are. Sorry Eric that must have been painful. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Lachelle said...

I think I'm glad I didn't see the full affect while visiting... the picture is detailed enough for me. It was good to see you guys. Scotty is adorable! Glad to hear Eric hands are healing. If you ever want to go on a road trip,come visit us in IF.

Martha said...

Even before I read your disclaimer to me, I was totally planning on clicking on it to see the gory details. Glad you know me so well!

Cali said...

Eric, may I recommend biking gloves. They work like a charm. Josh and I just rode our bikes almost 350 miles - from Pittsburgh back to DC. We went the entire way on gravel bike paths. It was incredible!