Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween

I love Halloween. As a kid it was my favorite holiday--I got to dress up as whatever I wanted and everyone gave you candy just for asking. What's not to like? I admit that as a mom it's even more fun, as I have more people to dress up and I love seeing Scotty so excited about things. Also, my adorable baby girl is too young to have her own opinions about costuming so I got to pick :o) I think we make beautiful butterflies. Or fairies. Or something else with wings and antennae.
I was inspired by her "bug eye" look :o)

I added elastic straps to a wall hanging decoration and pipe cleaners to head bands...that's "making our costumes" right?

yay for getting to be girly!

proof that she actually LIKED her costume.

Scotty, of course, had strong opinions about picking his costume. We were originally looking for Dash (from The Incredibles, which is an apt description of him) and I even considered making it for him, but then he found this:
this is his "super hero bad guy" face

Totally worth $10. I love kid to kid. Eric didn't have a costume and rejected my offers to construct one for him. He tried this look, but I needed the wings back.

He ended up settling for a t-shirt and shorts, and I teased him that it worked because a Halloween costume is something you're not, and his shirt said "blood donor." He's tried before but never made it through--and therefore doesn't even know his blood type.

Saturday night was truck or treat at the church combined with another ward, so there were TONS of cars. Alyssa screamed all during dinner but promptly fell asleep in my arms in the back of the van. What a perfect angel! I handed out candy while Eric and Scotty made the rounds. After about five cars he told Eric he thought he had enough candy, but after he realized he could collect as much as people were willing to give him he was eager for more!
Sunday night there was a neighborhood carnival across the street so we ventured out to meet some neighbors and find out where the kids lived. We found at least one house with a potential playmate!

Of course, being the math nerds we are, we created not only our traditional Halloween bar graph charting the goods, but we compared last years loot to this year's. I find it interesting to see which candy got more popular and which virtually disappeared.










In case you were wondering, M&M's and snickers were on the rise this year, while Milky Way, KitKat, Whoppers, and Tootsie Rolls were down. Scotty's not too big on actually eating it, and he prefers the chewy and hard candies as opposed to chocolate, so Eric and I are having a good time with the bucket currently sitting in our pantry. We're excited for next year!
P.S. Eric, if you don't dress up, you don't get any candy. I'm not exempting you from THE RULE next year...

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Love the bug-eyed baby girl and fierce-faced Batman. Is Eric wearing the bands around his ears? That's awesome. What skirt are you wearing, btw? You look super cute!