Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hippie Mama

I'm officially evolving into a full-blown Hippie Mama. It started with med-free childbirth. I still love a good pair of high heels and some jazzy earrings, and I definitely don't spend extra money for "organic" groceries (isn't all fruit organic in the chemical sense of the word? what is a traditional orange composed of--silicon? lead?) but I'm becoming a huge advocate for baby wearing. It really does make her much happier and my life easier. Not to mention it's helping with the tendonitis I've developed in my shoulder from trying to juggle two kids.

Scotty was anti-snuggling. He nursed like a squid and couldn't fall asleep if anyone was touching him. The only time he was happy as a baby was when I plunked him in the stroller and took him for a ride. We spent hours walking the streets of Provo and discovering all sorts of wonderful, interesting, and bizarre things. Alyssa? HATES her car seat and the stroller. Screams bloody murder whenever someone attempts to set her in it. A recent phone conversation with my mom: "Mom--is that my baby crying in the background? did she just wake up?" "Me--nope, we're just in the car." Like that explains the hysterics! Doesn't she know that babies are supposed to be lulled to sleep by the movement and sound of the road passing beneath the tires? Eric and I are both gearing up for a LONG road trip to Colorado next week on account of her nearly constant screaming. Scotty and I love to get out of the house, and although he sometimes asks, we can't just leave Alyssa at home napping. For the sake of my sanity and our collective eardrums we needed a better solution.

Hence, the early Christmas present (for her. I'm getting an awesome necklace).



A lifesaver. Worth every penny of the 20 bucks it cost me at Kid to Kid. Thinking about getting a few so I can coordinate with my outfits have a spare if one gets attacked by bodily fluids. I decided on a pouch style because it's much quicker and easier for me to get set than my current ring sling and more comfortable. It also is reversible (in case I'm feeling boring) and has a pocket for me to slip her pacifier or my keys into. Unfortunately the pouch is Meg sized so Eric will have to find his own solution. Yes, I still have to strap her in her car seat to get to the store, but once we arrive I can plop her in her sling and wander at my leisure without having to deal with screaming. She contentedly looks around, sucks on her easily accessible hands, and often falls asleep. I'm only alerted to the change in consciousness because of the slight baby snores :o) So sweet!

awake one day

asleep the next
Makes it so much easier to take a nice stroll down to the park to let Scotty play. I have my hands free and can actually enjoy the outing! Besides, it's a beautiful 72 degrees outside. Anyone want to come visit?

P.S. Yep, I'm still getting crafty. I honestly feel better at the end of the day and every time I see my handiwork. Here are a few flowers I made for me from an old shirt and hot glue. I think i'll attach them to a headband eventually but that's a project for another day.

3 thoughts:

April said...

Yeah for your new sling!!! I love love love mine and it is so fabulous to be hands free and they do love it so. I am big fan of baby wearing.
I love the new hair flowers too. Did you follow a tutorial online or just come up with your own way?

Taylor said...

slings are the best! When she gets heavier, I love the ERGO. I literally used it everyday for the first year of Asher's life.

Anonymous said...

I can testify to the improvement in attitude. Lyssabelle is not a peaceful baby but is actually calm in this new sling. Yay Meg!