Sunday, December 28, 2008

What are you allergic to?

So I have a monster canker sore. I almost always have at least one. Actually, a canker sore is responsible for my angriest moment in probably the last decade...

[I brought home cookies from seminar for Eric and I, and as I walked in house I bit my canker sore for 15th time that day. I got so frustrated I spiked my cookie on the floor! Eric just looked at me, laughed, and then ate the pieces of cookie off the front rug...]

I know why I get canker sores: nuts. Well, walnuts really. But if I eat too many nuts I get canker sores. If I have even a fraction of walnut, I'll get a canker sore. If I already have a canker sore, any kind of nut will make it worse, or give me more.

Seems easy, right? Just don't eat walnuts! Most of the time I'm good about it, but occasionally I knowingly decide that I have to have the brownie...sometimes I don't realize it has nuts, and other times I figure it's worth it.

ANYWAY, this canker sore has made me realize that almost everyone is allergic to something odd.

Meg--walnuts, insect bites (if I get one mosquito bite on my hand, I lose all mobility. If I get more than five, I break out in hives!)

My brother, Andrew--all antiobiotics. we weren't allowed to get strep throat growing up.

My mom--eyeshadow (makes her eyes swell shut), and neosporin.

Eric--not really any allergies, but he can't touch suede or velvet, he says it makes his mouth dry. He won't even sit on a suede couch! If he does by accident, he has to go get a drink and then sit somewhere else...

So let's hear it. What are you allergic to?

6 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend in college who was allergic to CHOCOLATE!! Horrified, I asked her, "Oh no, what happens when you eat chocolate?"
"It's terrible," she replied, "all over my body!"
"What?" I asked, "Hives??"
"No," she answered, "Fat."
hahaha
love you, Mom

Jenae said...

I am allergic to coconut and nuts but I am deathly allergic to cashews.

Martha said...

I'm allergic to apples and hate it!! Glad you are having fun and THANK YOU for the darling dress. Marian wore it last week and looked so cute. Sorry I'm slow in thanking you. Enjoy the vacation!

Sarah Roberts said...

funny you should post this- as I am scheduled to find out exactly what I am allergic to next week. So far- eggs, milk products, cats, and random out door things- and I still do not know what cause d me to break out into hives for a month.

Julia said...

I got a good chuckle from the velvet allergy, in fact i am still snikering. I am allergic to grass pollens, tree pollens, flower pollens, basically all pollens. Spring can be dreadful with out proper medication.

Thanks for coming by the Apron Goddesses site and playing! Maybe you have an apron hidden somewhere that you want to take a picture with??? Extra credit for next drawing... :) Happy New Year!

Melanie said...

Oddly enough, one winter (9th grade) I seemed to be allergic to the COLD. Every time I went outside, any part of my body not covered would break out in hives. For example, a strip on my wrists, where they were exposed between my coat and mittens walking between the school and seminary. The worst: my face! 'Hard to keep that covered ;-D

Happily, that lasted only one winter, but I've heard of others with this problem.