I worked hard for the 2.8 college degrees that I earned, and I figured I should do more than just hang my degrees on the wall. (and if you're wondering about that .8 degree....well, it's a long story but you're welcome to email me if you really want to know and aren't already privy to the whole saga). Anyway, shortly after moving down to Phoenix, I started tutoring a family friend in chemistry. The next year, I worked with her in math, and added her older brother for college chemistry. I also tutored several students I had student taught. I LOVED tutoring, which is good because my 2nd degree is a master's in education. Unfortunately, I did my job well, so at the end of the year my students appreciated my work but no longer needed me :o)
So I realized I needed another way to find new students. I checked out a few tutoring businesses, tried a craigslist ad (nada), and found a few online tutoring databases before I settled on WyzAnt. Their business model is simple: it's free for tutors to set up a profile, so I pay no upfront costs. Students can be confident in tutors' abilities because each tutor is required to take a certification test for each subject or write an extensive description of your qualification for subjects that don't have an online test to pass. Here's how WyzAnt makes money: they take a % of your tutoring rate for every lesson you submit. It starts fairly hefty--I only took home 60% of my initial pay until I had taught for 20 hours through their site. To make it worth my while, I simply raised my tutoring rate so I still made what I had before. Today I celebrate a special occasion: I have taught 50+ hours through their site since starting in April. I now take home 70% of my hourly rate ;o). I've also made over $1,400 these past 6 months...
Besides producing a steady stream of potential clients (I only take a few at a time so I don't overload myself--I regularly turn down 1 or 2 people per week), I LOVE how their site is set up. Each student I work with has a profile with all of their contact information, a map to their house, any email correspondence between us, and any other notes I have made on their file. After each lesson, I write a short summary either with tips for them to remember or explaining to their parents what material we covered and what they need to do before our next session. Payment is made by credit card on their end and I get the money direct deposited into my checking account with 5 days. I can encourage more business by running a blog with tutoring helps through my profile on their site and even post videos.
It's also important that no student gets my personal info unless I personally give it to them. All email routes through WyzAnt to my personal account so I don't have to worry about what happens with my personal data after the student moves on.
With that long-winded explanation out of my system, anyone looking for a math or chemistry tutor in the Phoenix area? Check out my profile.
Looking for a little help in a different subject? Want to set up your own tutoring business? I bet you'll love it. (FYI if you ARE planning on using the site, click through the links above or let me know, as I do get a bonus for referring people. BUT I would recommend it anyway, because it's awesome).
CLICK HERE to check out WyzAnt
P.S. I made my own linking buttons in my left sidebar because I'm just that cool.






0 thoughts:
Post a Comment