Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A series of firsts

Alyssa had lots of firsts on our recent trip to Utah:
FIRST airplane ride
FIRST time meeting grammy, great grandpa, grandma gould, grandpa gould (all four of my parents' parents are still alive and living in Utah)
FIRST time meeting a decent amount of my aunts and uncles on both sides
FIRST giggles! Grammy has the magic touch. Scotty is also good and getting her to laugh. Videos to come once I get them edited for length.
FIRST time meeting what remains of our Provo friends. So fun to see you!

Scotty had a few firsts of his own:
FIRST airplane ride in his own seat
FIRST stitches! We were hoping to avoid that one but honestly I'm surprised he lasted this long. Special thanks to my Uncle Roark for stitching him up for free on a rainy Sunday night. Scotty was pretty upset at the idea of "pokies" so we tried to calm him down by explaining what Dr. Roark was going to do. Papa said: "Do you trust Uncle Roark?" Scotty, after looking him up and down firmly declared: "No! Don't cut my head off!" I later realized that he picked that phrase up from our scripture reading....guess I picked a bad week to cover the story of Laban and the brass plates! Ah the blessings of scripture study... It was heartbreaking to hear him pleading with me not to hurt him, but he really handled it well and was back to his usual happy self almost instantly. And I managed not to pass out by wisely sitting down on the bench for a little rest :o)

My firsts?
FIRST time traveling with both kids without Eric along to help....though both my mom and dad came with me so I had plenty of help :o)
FIRST time holding a sleeping baby while on an airplane. Makes me remember how anti-cuddling Scotty was as an infant.
FIRST time cross-country skiing in over a decade.

Overall it was a fabulous trip.


3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

It was a fabulous trip. And it was actually Scotty's 2nd time in his own seat. But the 1st time he wasn't motion sick :)

Deanna said...

I LOVE Scotty's plea to not cut his head off! Yes, the scriptures are awesome!

Kaitie Jayne said...

Scotty is hilarious! It was great to see you and your cute kids!