In honor of my sister-in-law, April, I've decided to put a positive spin on the things that are sometimes literally pulling my hair out, so here goes my solutions to the things that bug me!
1. Inhumanely high gas prices! We basically don't drive anymore. I stroller everywhere I go, even the store unless i have to get milk because it won't fit. I actually borrowed a shopping cart for a little bit--Scotty loves sitting in the front!--but someone else "borrowed" it back from our yard...Eric has even started biking to work and school, which has the added bonus of letting him work out without taking too much extra time. Plus, we don't lose our parking space in front of the house.
2. TEETHING. For the uninitiated, I won't gross you out with details, but for you moms out there, top teeth in nursing babies are like first adjusting to nursing all over again--with puncture wounds. My solution to this is tylenol and naps--for both Scotty and mom!
3. No central AC. As I'm home pretty much all day, I try to keep the house as cool as possible with fans. I have also learned the joys of crockpot cooking--even breads and dessert--because it doesn't heat up the house the way the oven does. I'm also glad that long shorts are in style!
4. The unsocial aspects of being a SAHM. I was hoping to get a calling that would help me get to know more people in the ward; it's hard to get much out of church sometimes when you spend three hours shuffling in and out of classrooms with a hyper-yet-super-tired baby. Being the musical person that I am, however, means I will eternally have music callings, and I was just called to be the ward pianist, which means I trade off duties for sacrament meeting (including preludes and postludes), R.S., choir, and even firesides. SO, I look for other ways to get involved! I go to as many activities as I can in the ward, and never miss our "Ladies Day Out" for a little social interaction with people who speak something other than whine. I also go to the local pool with other moms and jointly watch our kids--it's a nice break to play with a stationary child and let someone else chase after Scotty as he goes exploring! The public library does a baby story and singing time every wednesday that includes a puppet show, so that's a nice break. I have also gotten really involved with family history and especially familysearch indexing--it's not really social but it's something for me and it's very calming. I highly recommend you check it out! Go to www.familysearchindexing.org for more info :o) We also try to invite couples in the ward over for games and junk food, and I've given a few people haircuts recently, which is really just an excuse for me to have someone come talk to me. Any other suggestions?
5. Post-partum stress disorder. For those of you who haven't taken the hormonal roller coaster that is pregnancy and all of that, it's been quite a ride for me. Thankfully, I feel a lot more like myself now! Still, I have a few helps that make a big difference for me until I fully adjust back to my normal, happy outgoing self :o) First off, medication! I waited four (very stressful!) months before finally seeing a doctor and let me tell you, it makes a huge difference. All i have to do is forget, or decide to stop taking my meds for a few days, and i realize how much it really does help! Also, junk food--especially ice cream--is nice, and it helps me keep my weight steady (one of the other problems). I have to thank Eric for being so supportive, and for understanding when I just need a few minutes to freak out so I can move on past the stress I'm feeling. He's tremendous! I also go on long walks outside everyday to enjoy some sunshine, read only happy books (hello chick lit!), don't watch any intense movies in the evening, take naps whenever i can steal them, and call my mom a lot.
Why Should You Get Custom Shades?
7 years ago




2 thoughts:
Wow Meg, I really enjoyed this post and wish I was in Utah so I could join you in some of your adventures and socializing (spelling?) I learned a lot from this post. First, the accronym SAHM, I also notice we have a lot in common, but I won't expound on all those things. I think I will try doing the same type of thing and write solutions to my annoyances. Hope you have a great day.
Sarah
Excellent comments! Especially the part about "CALLING MY MOM"
Love Mom
Post a Comment