Sunday, May 22, 2011

Praise to the Man -aka Why I Love my Calling

I'm the primary chorister in my ward, so it's my job to teach a wide variety of songs to small children. I spend about two hours running and jumping and singing and marching and being very animated and energetic. Church has never been so much fun! or so tiring...

This month the kids are learning Praise to the Man (#27 in the LDS green hymnbook, click on the song title link to hear it through the lds.org music player) and although I initially was worried about the vocabulary lesson, I'm having a great time. Mostly because it's obviously meant to be sung as part of a parade. With streamers (aka ribbon pencils). And bagpipes (if you don't know this stupid human trick let me know, it's hilarious). And lots of marching around the room in circles.

Even more than that, however, is the chance to teach these kids about the Prophet Joseph Smith, and to hear their sweet voices so excited. I challenged them all last week to memorize the words (we're singing verses 1 & 3) and I would bring them a surprise. I haven't brought any treats before so I'm not shamed by the occasional bribery.

Scotty is helping me make cookies right now and he knows he won't get one just because he's my son, so he's working hard. He sang the chorus for me this morning:

"Hail to the Prophet, singing in Heaven!
Traitors and tigers now fight him in bed.
Singing with Gods he can plan for his brothers,
Death cannot conquer the hero again!"

I can't wait for primary today!

P.S. We have since made a few "adjustments" to words, but I think I like Scotty's version better....

4 thoughts:

Deanna said...

I was about to write the exact post! I just got back and it was soo fun. Really it is the best calling in the church I think.

josh said...

I bet you are an awesome chorister. I think the Primary Chorister is one of the most important callings in the ward. I love hearing the Primary children sing. (cali)

Christine and Nick said...

your yard looks awesome!! i can't wait to see it in person! :) and I teach the 17 year old sunday school, and I still bribe them with treats... whatever it takes, right? :)

April said...

I didn't know we had the same calling!? I too love it. It is a place for me to use all of my school training! hahaha. This month has been a challenge and vocabulary lesson was very much exactly what is was.
At the end of each sunday I feel like I have run a marathon. Totally exausted. Especially on the days we have ward choir too! (my other calling....)