Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A plethora of projects

It's official: when it comes to hobbies I have a serious case of ADHD. One week I read 3 novels, the next I'm redesigning my entire blog, for about a day I actually enjoy cooking and trash my kitchen, then spend the next three days detailing my floorboards and the inside of my washing machine. These past two weeks I've been in a DIY decorating frenzy.

First up? A much better looking fan. The promised details and pictures.




Eric has been bugged by this fan since we moved in, but since it functions perfectly it seemed silly to pay $100 for a new one. Bring on the spraypaint!
1. Old school? Black, brass, grainy wood, nasty globes? CHECK.
2. Yes, it really was that bad.
3. Metal primer spraypaint ($3). Already it looks much better!
4. Hammered silver spraypaint ($6). Sometimes this didn't come out as even as I would have liked but once I got the hang of it it was super easy.
5. Espresso brown spray paint ($3). We then coated everything with 2 coats of clear sealer in satin ($4). For the next fan we plan to use a more glossy finish.
6. New globes ($4.50 for all three) from the Goodwill. Yay!
7. Eric was a great sport in letting me experiment. He probably thought we'd have to end up buying a whole new fan but he just nodded and smiled while I rambled about spraypaint and directed him toward "how to uninstall a ceiling fan" videos on Youtube. (it's actually not that hard, although you have to hold the fan above your head while standing on a ladder...)
8. Ta da! Total cost = $20. We have leftover brown spray paint for the next fan...

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! Way to go, project girl!