Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Verbalisms

I remember thinking to myself a few years ago: "it will be so nice when Scotty can really talk and communicate his needs." Ha! If I had only known what I was in for....

  • Discussions about anatomy at top volume in public restrooms. No, mama is not a boy, and thank you for noticing so regularly!

  • Public service announcements at the OB office: "mama peed in a cup!"

  • Polite requests for inappropriate behavior: "please whine? Mama please? I want to whine!"

  • Backward phrases: "Scotty is too big for that ladder" generally means that he has yet to grow into the playground equipment.

  • Constant correction. Eric tried to get Scotty to say that mama was beautiful only to be emphatically told, "No! Mama's a GIRL!"

  • Scottish. Every kid has their own language or words that get twisted. I'm still sad that he no longer says "Hoppy Toppin!" in reference to the world's best nanny. Still, he has enough Scottish to keep me laughing. Right now his big insistence is that we have to protect ourselves from crocodiles in the house by wearing firefighter hats "backsides" -- this rule is strictly enforced.

  • Complete lack of context. Scotty actually speaks fairly well, but his sentences make little sense to anyone who wasn't present for the event three days (or even a month!) prior that he is currently discussing in detail. He also thinks that people can see through the phone and conducts guided tours of his play space while on the phone.

  • Phrases that make me stop and ponder. The other day we were headed out to the park and Scotty nonchalantly informed me that he had "pooped the tappin." Since we're potty training the phrase got my attention but that's not the word we use so I was a little hesitant.... "pooped the tappin?" I asked. "Yeah," he replied, assuming a very wide stance and pointing at me with a stick, "POOP, POOP" he said while making 'poofing' noises. "Take that tappin! Poop! Watch out for the crocodile!"


Anyone catch that?


It took me awhile to remember that his movie of the week is Peter Pan.

2 thoughts:

Janice Richardson said...

Oh so true! And we haven't even gotten to complete communication/understandableness language coming from our little one!

Martha said...

I love that part of being a mom is being a translator. Like when Mini said a man on the elevator looked like President Monson, but the offended man only heard that he looked like a monster. :) Hopefully we'll actually talk soon!