My boys say the funniest things. Scotty loved my singing when he was a baby, but for about the last 6 months anything more than 2 consecutive notes--even singing along to the radio--gets an immediate command of "Stop singing, mama!" Who knows how he'll survive adolescence when I'm sure to embarrass him just by existing...
Because music is important to me and I like singing, I've tried a variety of ways to get him to accept it. For about a week I got him to say "thank you for singing, mama" instead of commanding me to stop but he wised up.
A few days ago I tried a new tactic. "I like singing," I told him. "It makes mama happy."
He thought for a second and then looked me straight in the eye.
"Your singing makes me sad, mama."
Ouch! I couldn't help but laugh. And keep singing.
Eric is much more tactful when it comes to expressing his opinions. Unless he's asleep. I can always tell when he's exhausted because we get to have interesting conversations in the middle of the night. This past month he's been using every spare minute to study for the last of his four CPA exams. Last night I nudged him to turn over, as his snoring was keeping me awake. Instead of grunting and rolling a fraction of an inch like he normally does (or arguing that 'he wasn't snoring'), he reached over to pick something off the nightstand.
Meg: "What are you doing?"
Eric: "I just need to get this documentation."
Meg: "Documentation?"
Eric: "Yeah, for one of the entities at Freeport [the main client he audits]"
Meg: "Eric, it's midnight, and I just woke you up because you were snoring..."
Eric: "No, the documentation is right here...I just have to get it"
[random fumbling on the nightstand]
Meg: "Eric, that's the book you've been reading on the Constitution of the United States of America."
Eric: [confused silence] "Dang."
At least if I'm going to be awake in the middle of the night I have something to keep me entertained.
Why Should You Get Custom Shades?
7 years ago




2 thoughts:
Haha!! My entertainment in the middle of the night is when Matt talks in his sleep! It's funny to see what he dreams about!
Ok, that is too funny about Scotty. My boys have yet to say that to me, they still join in the song!
Reed has never talked in his sleep, in fact I am the only one around here that does! But that is so telling about Eric and his priorities. :)
BTW, I wish I was seeing you in the near future! You feel so far away and I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope you are well. Love you!!
Post a Comment