Monday, October 1, 2012

The Birth Center is not the Hospital (but it's not a cave either!)


A birth center is not a hospital--but it's not a cave either :)

First, for those of you who are medically inclined or otherwise curious, here are the medical procedures I *did* have at the birth center.

the Larsen Ladies

5 days old!
For me:
 Check of temperature, blood pressure, pulse when I arrived. One course of IV antibiotics to prevent transfer of Group B strep bacteria, 1 hour before delivery. General timing of contractions based on watching me have contractions. Check of my temperature and blood pressure after getting in the tub. One cervical check that revealed complete dilation at 5:30am. Shot of pitocin in the leg after delivery to slow bleeding (this is not routine but was based on the above average amount of bleeding I had). Post delivery check of fundal height, uterine contractions, and determination of bleeding several times during my stay.


For Rachel:
Monitoring of heartbeat upon arrival at birth center, during a contraction, and after entering thee tub and between pushing contractions. This monitoring was for a minute or two at a time and could have been done with the doppler or the fetalscope; my nurse used the doppler so we could all hear the heartbeat. There were no concerns and she always sounded great! Delayed cord clamping--the midwife waited until the cord had stopped pulsing before clamping the umbilical cord, which Eric cut. He had never gotten to do that before and thought it was pretty cool! Monitoring of temperature frequently after birth, including while still in the tub. Full newborn exam conducted by the midwife when she was an hour old. Full checkup with the pediatrician on day 2, and check up with the nurses at the birth center on day 4.

attack of the ginormous thumb!

What we didn't have:
Pitocin to induce. Epidural. Stitches (hooray!). Fetal monitoring belts. IV tubes and pole. Any time apart! My baby was either in my arms, Eric's, or my mom's. Except when I shared her with my wonderful nurses and doula for some baby love :) but that was because I love those ladies! Baby eye goop (antibiotic to prevent transfer of mom's STDs). Baby vitamin K shot. Hepatitis shot (she did have this at the pediatrician on day 2). Newborn PKU (this was only done once, instead of twice, and was completed by the nurses at the birth center on day 4).

So excited to have a baby sister!

What I missed about being in the hospital:
  1. Having food delivered to my door without having to make it.
  2. Hospital pictures of my newborn (just because I have them with my other two!) Though my doula took pictures I'm just waiting to see!
  3. A remote controlled bed so I could sit up without arranging pillows or having to use non-existent stomach muscles.
  4. The awesome, ginormous cup with a straw which is great for drinking while nursing.
  5. The ease and routine of newborn paperwork, like a birth certificate! It is easier when you have your baby in a traditional hospital.



What I didn't miss about being in the hospital:
  1. Actually eating the hospital food.
  2. Bright lights and linoleum.
  3. Hospital gowns that hang open in the back and have convenient front pockets that gape open unexpectedly, exposing your breasts to random people as you walk the halls.
  4. Having a shared bathroom after delivery!
  5. Having to spend my first recovery night without Eric because of having a roommate.
  6. Spending the recovery night at the hospital with nurse interruptions and beeping monitors.
  7. Having to get out of the tub for the last hour of contractions!


LONG feet and monkey toes!

What I LOVED about the birth center:
  1. The huge tub. Getting in the tub. Staying in the tub. Having Eric in the tub with me!
  2. Knowing all of my care providers, including nurses, beforehand. There wasn't a single person in my space that I didn't already know.
  3. Wearing my own clothes. At first I thought this would be a downside, because what do you wear in labor? And what if it gets all gross? But in the end it was so nice to just wear whatever I wanted to at the time, including a super comfy skirt that I could happily live in. I ALWAYS felt comfortable, and my stuff didn't get messy at all.
  4. Not having tight bands strapped to my stomach. I can tell that I'm having contractions without them showing up on a printout! It was MUCH more comfortable to not have them. With Alyssa I had periods of time with the monitors on and even got in the tub with them, but it was still a relief to have them removed.
  5. Not having a tube in my arm. I still have my IV antibiotics, but the only thing left was a bandaid. It was nice to not worry about snagging it on something! I chose to have a heplock in delivery with Alyssa (the IV needle inserted but closed off and taped down without any attached tubing) in case I bled out and needed a transfusion. It was nice to not have that this time, but I would have had it if I was worried about that complication.
  6. Seeing my bright eyed baby gaze up at me. No meds. No eye goop. No sticking and poking her with things for her first day!
  7. Getting to have Eric with me the whole time, and not having to send the baby off somewhere with him while I stayed behind. After delivery we curled up together (Eric and I, mom had Rachel) and took a nice nap on a super comfy bed.

her bracelet is her "hospital bracelet" and it says "Larsen"

So those are my thoughts. If I had another one (which I  don't think I will but I can't make that final of a decision right now!) I would do it exactly the same way. Especially if he/she was also petite as that makes delivery that much nicer :)

2 thoughts:

josh said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds wonderful! Several of the things you disliked about a hospital (shared room/bathroom, IV line, fetal monitoring, having to get out of the tub an hour before delivery) I did not experience during my midwife/hospital birth with Bastian. Hospitals definitely vary. But, I think you did a lot of great research and clearly made a good choice for you and your sweet baby! (cali)

Sarah Ewell said...

Congrats Meg! I'm so happy for you. It sounds like a wonderful experience, a very nice birth day. :) We need to talk more... I'll have to call you. Baby Rachel is sure beautiful! Congrats my friend.