Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One Month

Time flies by. Even when you're cherishing every minute by not sleeping :)

thanks Auntie Misty for my awesome wardrobe!
Rachel Marie is 5 weeks old already! I went back to work last week and life just keeps marching on. Typically, she is a sweet, mellow little thing who likes to sing and coo, curl up like a frog with her ginormous monkey feet and snores in her sleep. Sometimes, however, she gets in a funk. When funky, she sleeps in 20 minute spurts. She also believes that she should eat every time she wakes, making these funky days even more exhausting for me. I feel like I should do weight checks on myself to see how much she is draining from me! Some days she has my body thinking it made triplets...

Her first few weeks included frequent projectile vomiting that had the doctors concerned she had pyloric stenosis and would require surgery....we have since discovered that she is just a bulimic in training--overeating and then violently re-gifting her largesse. I have to pay attention to how often and how long she nurses because she has no self-control and will just keep eating, but other than that she is growing and perfectly healthy.

she's learning the "shifty" face from her big sister...

Her one month stats:

Weight: 7 lb 12 oz (Scotty's birth weight!) - 10%
Length: 21" - 50%
Head: 36.5 cm - 25%
 (compare to Alyssa's stats here...)

Essentially, my (one week late!) 5 week old is the same size as my first born, but with a smaller head. So petite! She still feels tiny to me. She has yet to outgrow a single thing! I even bought a huge pack of newborn diapers because they fit her so well. She'd be drowning in 1s...

I love those feet! if she was a puppy I'd predict she'd be 6' tall...
Her favorite things:
1) eating
2) being held
3) curling up with mama (I love my new wrap! it makes babies so portable. She even nursed while I walked the older kids around Ikea today)
4) singing to daddy
5) watching her siblings play
6) sleeping

She's a pretty good sleeper (except those Funky days). Unlike my older two, this one will just fall asleep wherever she is when she needs a nap. Even if that place is a blanket in the middle of a pile of toys with the older two running laps and yelling. It's a tender mercy and practically a miracle that she gets any sleep around here. In fact, she probably has a hard time sleeping at night because despite our best efforts with a white noise machine, a fan, Eric snoring, and the music from her swing, we just can't recreate the Chaos that exists most of the daylight hours around here.

True to form, she fell asleep whilst chilling on her blanket as I typed this. Angel!

Ah, the blessings of being the third child. We love you, RachelAngelo!

1 thoughts:

Janice Richardson said...

5 weeks already?! I think someone could make a fortune inventing a white noise machine that sounds like yelling, jumping, and other older sibling sounds!