Monday, September 24, 2012

The Story of Rachel Marie

My baby is 3 weeks old today, and I still haven't posted her birth story or any pictures of her! I've been waiting to get pictures back from my doula, who got some amazing shots of the very first moments, but also because this story isn't as detailed or documented as my first two. If I had to pick a theme for Rachel's birth it would be "Let it Be." I wasn't micromanaging every detail of my labor plan or researching up a storm on natural childbirth like I was with Alyssa. The whole experience this time around was very hands off, very peaceful, and very perfect.

It all started with tears. My official due date was August 31, but by my calculations I would have put her due on the 28th. My predictions have been more accurate for my other two, so I felt pretty confident that this little girl would make her appearance during the last week of August, and I really expected her around the 26th. I had planned my chemistry classes to be on maternity leave during that week, with a test and an independent in-class research project. Every day, my students would look up when they walked in the room and exclaim: "you're still here!" When September 1st rolled around, I hit a wall. I was officially overdue, I was tired from not sleeping and being uncomfortable, I was stressed that my maternity leave would roll over into the next (and harder!) unit, and I was just DONE. Eric could sense this and suggested I take a nice warm bubble bath and zone out. He even lent me his iphone with my birth music playlist so I could listen to my favorite tunes. I don't think he expected the deluge of tears. After sitting by me for awhile, he asked me if I wanted alone time or if I wanted him to hold me. Through sobs I told him I just needed a hug and that wonderful husband of mine didn't hesitate--he jumped right into the tub with me, fully clothed!

40 weeks pregnant!
After a few more tears, I accepted that she would come when she was ready and I just needed to stop thinking about it. I even joked to Eric that the advantage of birthing a 3 year old is that they come out potty trained...

the family line up
While I had months of constant Braxton-Hicks contractions, I have never had painful contractions start and not turn in to full blown labor. So when I started feeling some twinges during dinner on Sunday night, I knew it was probably that time. We put the kids in bed and I glanced at the clock occasionally, noting that my contractions were about 15-20 minutes apart. It was only 8pm, so I decided a nice long, distracting game of Monopoly would be just the thing. I sat on an exercise ball and snacked while we played--and within 2 turns around the board I had landed on (and purchased!) all four railroads. Eric then proceeded to land on 3 within the next round. Even when he purchased Boardwalk to supplement his ownership of Park Place it was too late. He ended up selling off all his houses and mortgaging his property and within 5 rounds of the board, I had completely wiped him out. SHORTEST MONOPOLY GAME EVER. I took it as a sign to get some rest and laid down for the next two hours while Eric mentally prepared for labor (aka played Call of Duty MW3). At this point my contractions were about every 10-15 minutes and painful but not too terrible. I wasn't able to sleep but I felt fairly relaxed. Eric called our doula, Diane, to give her the heads up. The plan was to call her to come over when I felt like I needed her.

Wendi says they need to make one that says: "I caught my own baby"
We called my mom around midnight to come over and watch the kids while we took a stroll around the park, just as we had the night I was in labor with Alyssa. I continued to have contractions but they weren't any stronger or closer together, still about every 10 minutes. We got back from our walk just before 2am and I suddenly felt very tired. I tried to lay down on the couch while Eric finally went to bed. I managed to doze through a few minor contractions when suddenly I had 2 that caused me to leap off the couch. I could NOT lay down through contractions anymore! I went to post something on facebook so all the well-meaning friends would know this little girl was FINALLY on her way, and the contraction I had while sitting in the computer chair about knocked me on to the ground. I woke Eric up and told him it was time. "Time?" he says. "Yep, time. Call Diana. Tell her it's time." He just looked at me while I had a major contraction. He rubbed my back gently. He waited for more information. Through gritted teeth, I replied: "Eric, pick up your phone. Right now. Call Diane and tell her it is TIME." My legs were starting to shake and suddenly I knew that if I didn't get in the car soon, I wouldn't be leaving my house.

Diane didn't even ask how far apart my contractions were (still about 7-10 minutes). She just knew that I knew! She told us to meet her at the birth center at 4:15am, about 45 minutes later. We finished packing our bag, woke the kids, and sent them off in Nani's car to spend the night with Papa.

30 minutes after birth

The car is the worst place to have strong contractions. You are stuck in one position, with a seatbelt to add extra pressure, and there is nothing to distract you. Also, whenever the car turns even slightly, your muscles tense to stabilize you. It's a perfect storm of AWFUL. Fortunately, I only had to deal with 3 contractions during the drive as Eric decided 80 mph was an appropriate speed. We arrived at the Babymoon Inn at exactly 4:15am and were greeted by the smiling faces of Doula Diane, the nurse Roxanne, and the midwife on call, Wendi and her student midwife. No paperwork to fill out. No hospital intercoms and bracelets. No sitting in OB triage strapped to a billion monitors and listen to the heartbeats of 10 other babies in utero. I just walked in and kept doing what I was doing. Diane and Roxanne were filling up the ginormous jetted tub for me and Wendi asked me how I was doing and we just let it be. Wendi said she would check my dilation whenever I wanted her to, but that she never needed to check if I didn't want to be interrupted. At this point I didn't want to lay down, and labor was definitely moving along so I didn't think twice about waiting.

I spent most of my early labor minding my own business. At the birth center I had the support of Eric and Diane and emotional support from my mom, but I mostly just did my thing and let it happen. It wasn't all fun and games, but it was probably my easiest labor of the three. My contractions varied from 3 minutes apart to 10, and sometimes I could still talk through them and occasionally they threw me a curve. I threw up (3/3 on that end!) but Diane draped a washcloth dipped in peppermint oil over my shoulders and I never felt nauseous again, even when Roxanne was digging unsuccessfully for veins, trying to place the IV for my antibiotic. I also had a washcloth dipped in ice water to keep me from feeling lightheaded or overheating. After cranking through the antibiotic (Roxanne got that bag through in 2 minutes, instead of the 40 it took at the hospital before having Alyssa!) I could finally get in the tub!

The tub was awesome. All 15 minutes of it! Ok, it was probably closer to 20, but that's about it. I had a few minutes contraction free to really relax and breathe, and the I had 3 very intense contractions back to back. I kept shifting to find a more comfortable position and ended up kneeling and leaning my head on Eric's lap while he sat on the edge of the tub. Wendi had said she could check me in the tub if I wanted her to, so when I started feeling pressure during the last 2 contractions I called her in. I think I was the only one who WASN'T surprised when she announced that I was complete and the baby was at a +3! At this point I realized that I hadn't gotten a priesthood blessing from Eric, so I asked for a minute and everyone left the room. Eric gave me a wonderful and very brief blessing that my body would know what to do and that Rachel would be strong and healthy while I had 2 more contractions. And then the room was a bustle of activity with Roxanne prepping things for baby's arrival and everyone gathering. At some point Eric joined me in the tub, and when I opened my eyes I saw the midwife Wendi, Doula Diane, the nurse Roxanne, and my mom all kneeling along the edge of the tub, watching me. The student midwife, Ashely, channeled her inner spiderman and was straddling the tub to give me a little extra support. Rachel decided to come barreling through and on the first contraction she was nearly out! I could tell it was too fast so I actually held her back and told her to go slowly :o) On the second contraction it was much less uncomfortable and I knew she would be coming quick. Sure enough, on the third contraction her head was out!

Wendi told me to lean back onto Eric, and together we reached down and lifted this tiny, beautiful baby girl out of the water and into my arms. She was gorgeously pink and screaming merrily away, with a full head of dark hair. She seemed so tiny to me! I later learned that my mom managed to catch that perfect moment on video! Watching it makes me (and everyone else!) cry at how peaceful and natural it was. It's also pretty PC and completely gore-free for a birth movie. I'm not going to post it to a public blog, but if you're interested in seeing it let me know :)

I stayed in the tub holding my tiny baby girl while she started up at me until after I delivered the placenta. We got out to shower off, but I was bleeding more heavily than they would have liked so after a quick 30 second scrub of shampoo in the hair I was back in bed with a shot of pitocin in the leg. My bleeding quickly slowed and the worry was over. After nursing and weighing her in at a tiny 6 lb 4 oz (gestational diabetes? ha!), I handed her off to my mom and curled up by Eric for a nice long nap is a full size bed.
smallest baby ever! ok, at least for me

Papa brought the kids to visit, and while Scotty was more interested in the toys than his baby sister, he did tell me she was really cute :o)
SO excited to be a big sister!


Rachel passed her newborn exam with flying colors and after eating some lunch, we headed home around 1pm.


 For those of you who are curious, the pros and cons of the birth center versus the hospital, and more details about the medical care I had during labor are coming in the next post!


4 thoughts:

Cali said...

I loved reading your birth story. You are amazing. So happy that Rachel is here.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

you are amazing!!!!! I'm very impressed.

Taylor said...

beautiful story. I especially love Eric jumping into the bath to comfort you with his clothes on! Love you and am proud of you.

Deanna said...

What a great story! My due date was Aug. 31 too and since I've always been late I thought it would probably be on labor day- so that's what I guessed for you :)

Thanks for mentioning your theme of "let it be". I tend to overplan details such as birth even though I know I can't and it's a good reminder.

And yes, I'm totally interested in seeing the video! You can email it to me. I would LOVE to go to a birth center- they don't take VBACs here though. Maybe for baby #4!

I'm so happy you got to experience such a peaceful birth! Good luck w/ going back to work!