There is a phrase I've heard often that I really don't like. It goes something like this:
"The Lord doesn't give you more than you can handle."
I'm sure it's scripture based and well backed up, but I don't like it. It's like saying to someone gasping for their last breath: "Don't worry. You're not really drowning. It really feels like it and you're miserable and you might die anyway, but it'll all be ok."
Hardly a reassuring sentiment, really. I only find it helpful when I'm on the downward slope. It promises hope that the next dip is the last and life will get easier. In reality, I've usually just begun the bumpy ride. I guess if the above statement feels encouraging to me, I should know that I haven't hit the bottom yet and more is sure to come!
Am I the only one?
It's time like this where I try to dig deep, find the good moments, the tender mercies, and feel grateful for all the blessings I have. I know there are plenty. I know when I search for them, I find them.
But sometimes, frankly, I just want to take a minute to admit that life is NOT peachy. That things are NOT easy, even if they are somehow within my capacity to "handle." In my opinion, merely surviving is not the same as "handling" the things life is throwing at me.
In case you haven't heard my whining on the subject, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about two weeks ago. It's a lot of fun. It has solidified in my mind that cooking is not a hobby of mine, not a talent, and really not something I care to improve at. I really, really dislike cooking. Maybe if I could treat it like any other hobby of mine, aka doing it obsessively once every few months and then forgetting about it, THEN I would enjoy cooking. Instead, it's a huge drain of resources, time, and energy that just keeps needing more! Kids want to eat everyday! Sometimes even several times a day! Now that I can't eat most of the things my kids will eat, I get to do twice the cooking. I can't eat as much at one time, so I am hungry more often. You guessed it--more cooking! All of this cooking makes me grumpy, and results in more dishes and more messes to clean up. To reward myself for a job well done, I get to check my blood sugar four times a day. My kids mistakenly think this is a really fun activity. They gather to watch. Scotty cleaned his room in record time the other day so he could make it in time to watch the blood. Alyssa often volunteers a finger and tells me it's "Syssa's turn!" Maybe I should wipe off the cheerful face and cry occasionally so they aren't tempted to try it themselves...
Eric has been wonderfully supportive through my whining, helping me find websites with recipes, helping with the cooking whenever he can. I just can't seem to accept it and take it in stride.
In other medical news, Scotty dislocated his elbow ("elbone" according to him) again this week, necessitating a quick trip to the pediatrician's office. He managed the same feat three times in the first 2 years of his life but it had been awhile. Alyssa didn't want to be left out of the fun. Yesterday I rescued her from chemicals, climbing into the toilet, climbing onto the toilet, and just about every counter top in the house before she managed to touch the hot stove. She only managed blisters on three of her fingertips so it could have been a lot worse, but she was pretty upset about it. I think I would feel guilty except she was determined to kill herself yesterday so a few blisters is a pretty good parenting save in the long run. If only I could get her to sleep in past 6am and stop yelling in frustration for the majority of the day, we'd be in good shape...
How are you "handling" life right now?
Why Should You Get Custom Shades?
7 years ago




10 thoughts:
Meg, I love you! You're a really good example to me and I think you're a wonderful mom. You're going to be a great teacher! I'm really excited to see you in a couple weeks and give you a big hug. I've been slightly obsessed with this song and I thought you'd really like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyX-I-um5Kk
Love you!
I hate that saying and I don't agree with it AND i don't think there is any scriptural backing. We are told we won't be TEMPTED more than we can handle but that is a completely different thing. I'm with you, it's not comforting and pretty insulting. I am sorry things are rough. I was super annoyed/discouraged by the GD thing and I could just lie around watching movies all day feeling sorry for myself (no kids yet), i don't know how you are managing with two "super fun and easy" children right now. You are one brave woman---notice how I have stuck with only two? Hang in there! It's okay for things not to be okay.
Agreed Megan! The other night the kids were crying one after the other til 11 PM and I just about wanted to rip my hair out! Then when Christian came home at 11:30 and I said I was going nuts he said "oh you need to stop getting so worked up". You can imagine how that went over! Sometimes kids are just a little more than we can handle, and I think that's perfectly normal. One day you think they are a monster and the next you think they are the cutest, smartest child ever born into the world - I think that's okay. :)
Hang in there! They thought I had GD for a few weeks too and I was dreading the changing diet and such - so sorry you are having to deal with it!
Hope things get better soon!
agree with Tay-- no scriptural backing and LAME but I guess it might make SOMEONE feel better.. just not me!!!! hugs and hugs your way-- I love you bunches!! hang in there, honey. you can do it.
Meg! I am so sorry about the diabetes. I didn't know that. What a bummer. I read your last several posts and I think you're third pregnancy is about as "fun" as mine was. I am so sorry. I know how you feel--that fog is horrible. I'll call soon!
I definitely have times when I feel like I am just barely surviving - which is not fun. But, Josh says that says that "survival is success." So, if your kids are alive at the end of the day, that counts for a lot. Lack of sleep is a killer, especially combined with all the other things you have going on. So sorry your pregnancies have been so rough. It's not fair. Keep on keepin' on. (cali)
I just wish I could hug you right now. It makes me sad that you are having such a hard time.
I love the song that Bekah put up as well. I LOVE it.
When you go through something that is really hard, it makes you a better stronger person. Don't try and do it all yourself. Let the atonement work in every moment of every day. (During all 8 meals everyday.) That is the only way I have been able to make though the tough times.
I love you so much and I know you can, not just survive this, you can become better for it. That is what I think that phrase you hate so much is really saying.
The only thing you can do is better than you did yesterday.
I wish so bad that I could come cook for you and watch those beautiful, screaming munchkins.
I love you and you can do this.
See you soon!
SO sorry, Meg! Sorry about gestational diabetes.... I had it with both my kiddos and it was NOT fun! I didn't even have it THAT bad, either. life is tough sometimes!
I agree with Taylor too- tempted, not tried. I hate this phrase too- except when I'm not going through a trial- then it seems nice. But last year, I'm pretty sure I was tried more than I could bear alone- good thing I had friends and family to support me.
Sorry about the diabetes. I hated that too. The only thing "good" about it for me was that when I had to be gluten and dairy free for about 6 months of Ainsley's life, I was already aware of some alternatives since those were limited on the GD diet too.
Glad it's almost over for you. Are you planning a water birth? :-)
Post a Comment