Monday, May 14, 2012

Cranky & Chaos: A Mother's Day Story



Some days, it's nice to be reminded why exactly I wanted to be a mom. I saw a great quote on facebook yesterday: "Motherhood: the only place to experience heaven and hell at the same time." For some reason, that has felt really true to me lately. I blame hormones (darn things!). Sometimes just looking at my cute kids is enough to make tear up (in a happy, mom way). Sometimes just hearing them wake up crying for me at ridiculous hours is enough to make me tear up (in a persecuted, mom way). How can I love that my children want so much of me and resent it at the same time? How can I love that I am the most important person in their world, and at the same time be dying for the opportunity to use the bathroom by myself just once? I feel like I spend most of my day longing for a break, only to find I don't know what to do with myself when they aren't hanging all over me. Kids: can't live with them, can't imagine living without them.

Peek- a-boo!

Much credit goes to Eric for a fabulous Mother's Day. Gourmet french toast in bed, fresh strawberries, whipped vanilla frosting, real maple syrup...not to mention the middle of the night help when Alyssa woke up with a fever, the shakes, a croupy cough, wheezing, and breaking out in hives. It felt odd to be in church without half of my family, but I have primary duties so Eric stayed home with the sick one and I got some quality time with Scotty. After church I got a nice long nap and a tremendous dinner all of Eric's creation. He even did all the cleaning up so I didn't have a house to reclaim after a fun weekend!

Check out this awesomeness: that's bacon-wrapped chicken from a homemade marinade with red and green pepper and onion, perfectly grilled

You can smell the goodness!


Most of all, it was a wonderful Mother's Day because I felt truly grateful to be a mom. These last few weeks have been rough for me for a lot of reasons, not limited to still feeling sick 6 months into this pregnancy and crazy hormones. I've kind of felt like I was living in a fog, not able to recognize or enjoy the little moments that make it all worthwhile. Let me tell you, without the little kodak/hallmark moments, it is REALLY hard to be home with small children. The best part of my day was just getting to enjoy those glimpses of heaven that sneak in amongst the long days.
It's hard to get a good picture of 2 independent children. I love that she carries her babies in a sling :)

Of course, I have to celebrate the 2.5 little ones that call me Mama. I jokingly refer to them as Cranky and Chaos (I need a nickname for this new little one--so far I refer to her as Thumper because she's become quite the mover and shaker in there). Usually Scotty is Chaos and Alyssa is Cranky, but it seems I always have one of each. One is unhappy and needing extra attention, which leaves the obviously deprived one to his or her own devices of insanity. Without further ado, here are some pictures of my favorite little ones.

At Disney on Ice about to see his favorite movie characters

playing with Papa before the big ultrasound (yes, it was AT MY HOUSE. best thing ever!)

Felt shape pizza at the Children's Museum

Driving a pencil
Last but not least, I have to give props to my wonderful moms. My mom is my best advocate and biggest cheerleader. She is such a great support, especially when I'm worn out, pregnant, and struggling. She's my damsel in shining armor :) My mother in law is always telling me how wonderful I am, how much she admires me and how I am living my life, offering words of encouragement and absolute trust. If you listen to these two women, you'd think I was perfect! I learn so much from both of them about how to love. I hope someday I can grow up to be just like them :)

Happy Mother's Day!

3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

WOnderful post, with perfectly in character photos. I LOVE Brian laughing with the kids. And Eric - MAJOR husband points for Mother's Day (breakfast AND dinner AND dishes!) Woot

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

Hooray for getting spoiled for Mother's Day!!!! and you are a wonderful Mom. I know your life is so crazy busy, let alone with the pregnancy stuff, but you are so loving and fun with your kiddos. I love you!

josh said...

I love Cranky and Chaos. Those are awesome nicknames. (cali).