Saturday, September 17, 2011

Still Crafty

My recent excuses for the lack of blogging are as follows: 1) haven't had the camera out much and posts without pictures are lame. 2) Alyssa is a climbing monkey who keeps me hopping all day long 3) life isn't always exciting as a stay at home mom 4) I've been busy doing fun stuff instead of writing about it!

Ok, ok, I just made all of those reasons up. The real reason I haven't been blogging is that football season just started, and we invested in cable. I mean, I'm helping Scotty memorize the entire Book of Mormon, compose symphonies with full orchestration, and recreate the entire artistic career of Monet. And Alyssa is fluent in three languages. Believe what you will :o)

For Alyssa's birthday I decided I wanted to make her a chair. I found this toddler papasan chair for $1 at a garage sale. It was great! except the frame was a nasty pinkish color, the fabric rubbed off when you touched it, and there was a gaping hole on the bottom.

click to see this bigger

Here's what I came up with. I made the cover removable (the top and bottom pieces are only connected on one side and both have elastic hems to hook over the frame of the chair). I figure, if it's not washable, it shouldn't be around children. I also made the top portion fitted so it would stay in place better on the chair and look like a chair even without someone sitting in it. And the verdict? I think she likes it.

happy birthday! happy climbing...

1 thoughts:

Sarah Ewell said...

Hey! I thought I was the only one who was that awesome at teaching my posterity all of the awesomeness there is to be had in the world! I guess you beat me to it! :) The chair is so cute - and you're right. If it can't be cleaned, it's not for kids. Love it.