Thursday, July 22, 2010

Approaching the end

Well, it's getting to be about that time here in Larsenland: I've passed the 36 week mark and things are plugging right along. I'll spare you the details about the current state of my uterus unless you care deeply but it seems like we're heading in the right direction and should have a beautiful healthy baby to show for all this sickness in the next few weeks. My doctor has told me I should have 6 more kids because I'm so easy to check and care for during pregnancy--she never has to go searching for the baby! 6 more kids are definitely NOT on the agenda but I'm mostly focused on just getting this one out. I've decided that the combination of side effects from medication and complications last time was just too much to outweigh the benefit of powerful drugs so I'm getting in touch with my inner she-woman and planning to go natural. Feel free to offer words of encouragement but no horror stories, please!

I've also decided that there are two kinds of people in this world: those who possess the gift of sleep and those who don't. If you don't recognize sleep as a gift than you must be one of the blessed. Eric is particularly blessed and can fall asleep mid-sentence, mid-breath, before even hitting the pillow. He can also sleep through practically anything. I, on the other hand, often spend hours horizontally before finally drifting off and rarely make it through a night without spending some more time out of dreamland. Pregnancy makes me much more tired and also makes it harder to sleep so I'm lucky to get more than 6 hours of actual sleep no matter how long I spend in bed. Last night I think I managed four (in random chunks) even though I gave myself time for 8.5. Yep, I think I'm ready for a newborn!



In other news, I got a little peek at this little one today as the doctor wanted to make sure she was positioned correctly. As far as we can tell, it's still a girl.

9 thoughts:

Kami said...

Good luck with going natural, she-woman! Some people have loved it, some people have not. I'm excited for you! :)

Pregnancy seemed to make me narcoleptic. I couldn't sleep at night to save my life, but I couldn't stay awake for school/church/Conference to save my life, either. Yipes.

Taylor said...

You will do great going natural. I think that it is totally the way to do it!

Cali said...

Meg, you can do it! You definitely have a lot of "she-woman" potential in you!

Deanna said...

Definitely excited about your decision to go natural! I'd like to call myself a natural birth advocate.

The most important thing is preparation. I did hypnobabies w/ both chilins and loved it. Even though you are so close to your due date you can still give it a shot if you practice daily. Check out their website: hypnobabies.com Make sure to read the birth stories on their blog to get yourself pumped :) Wish I were closer and I'd let you borrow my CDs. If you're not feeling the hypnosis stuff and you're REALLY committed to going natural- not just "I'll hold off on getting an epidural until I can no longer stand it" than I would suggest getting a doula. My biggest regret is that I didn't have a doula w/ Azure. They are invaluable for natural births!
One of my favorite birth blogs is birthfaith.org She's a member and lives there in AZ, I think the PHX area, so if you email her directly she will be more than happy to refer you to doulas in your area. She is awesome! I can't remember how long your labor w/ Scotty was but, if your labor tends to be on the long side, a doula is so great to give Eric a break.
Just remember you can do it! Read this: http://birthfaith.blogspot.com/2010/04/hear-me-roar.html
too for more motivation. Let me know if you have questions.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

you can do it! You are wonderwoman!

Anonymous said...

Of course you can do it.
From one of the non-sleepers.

The Roz's said...

Going natural is awesome! It's all about mental preparation. Your body knows what needs to be done for a baby to be born, it's your brain that gets in the way! I can give you more details if you want, but just try to remember the pain is there for a reason. It's almost like you just have to let your body take over and do what it needs to and set your brain aside. Don't let your brain discourage you or think you can't do it because it hurts so much. Just when you think you can take it anymore that's when it's almost over, time to push.
The things that helped me the most: an amazing husband for a coach, hearing other people's birthing stories and LOTS of metal preparation.
It's an amazing experience! You can do it!

The Roz's said...

Oh one more thing... don't plan too much. Labor and delivery can and will surprise you. Be open to getting that epidural, if you feel like you are just too exhausted to go on. I've read so many birthing stories about women who feel disappointed, like they failed or weak because they didn't give birth naturally (or they way they planned). I figure no matter how the baby comes, as long as she's healthy and you're healthy, any way is appropriate. Best wishes!

Brenton and Adree Jensen said...

wow! i'm so excited for you to go natural! you are so strong, and i know things will turn out great!