Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New milestones

The past few months I've heard friend after friend tell me how worried they were about transitioning their child from a crib to a toddler bed--and how it turned out to be so quick and easy. I always thought to myself: "there's NO WAY my monkey would switch that easy. Not confined? Free to roam and climb? Wander around the house in the middle of the night? RIGHT."

Our plan when we moved was the pack up his crib and put him in my mom's pack and play until we switched him to the toddler bed we already had set up in his room. Friday night I decided that we didn't gain anything by putting off the miserable transition and that should we all have a horrible night, no one had to get up early Saturday morning.

I took precautions, like making his room was thoroughly toddler proofed and minimally distracting (i.e. toys laying out on the floor). I also put a baby gate across the doorframe so even if he opened the door he couldn't get out of his room.

Results? After having to put him back in bed once, he stayed in bed and slept happily all night! Eric tells me he was still in his bed in the morning.

Since then he has happily gone to sleep in his "big bed" every night and for naps without any major problems. Who would have thought? It really was a quick and easy transition.

He was so ready for bed tonight that he was in his bed before I even made it to his room. I didn't put the gate up, so we'll see where we find him tomorrow morning!

(sorry, I don't have pictures because I'm afraid to wake him up, but he looks so grown up in a "real" bed instead of a crib...)

P.S. Eric is taking the super intense Financial section of the CPA exam tomorrow--wish him luck!

P.P.S. You're all invited to this:

3 thoughts:

Angie Lewis said...

Wow, you're lucky. I'm terrified to switch Christopher too...I think I'll still wait a little longer though.

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting! I'm glad Scotty is doing so well in a toddler bed. I wish we could be there for the party! Sounds like fun :)

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

good job scotty! good luck eric and I love you. Wish we could come to the party! ;)