My mom has a personality quirk that I like to call "a song for every occasion." Some of my funniest memories involve my mom's random songs. For instance, about 5 years ago we took a family trip to CA as we do almost every summer. That year we decided to include sea kayaking off La Jolla Cove. As my dad is Mr. Solo when it comes to things like this and my brother was with his girlfriend at the time, my mom and I shared a kayak. She voluntarily let me sit in front so she "wouldn't obstruct my view." After about an hour I started to notice that it was getting harder and harder to paddle. I turned around to see if my mom was rowing off-time from me or something, and I discovered that she wasn't even holding on to her paddle! She was taking pictures of everyone else rowing and singing "Row, Row, Row your boat" to herself.
I told her she wasn't allowed to sing that unless she actually started rowing!If she can't think of the perfect song on the spot, she'll often change the words to make it fit. Eric was recently treated to a "Happy Graduation" song to the tune of the Jewish folk melody, Hava Nagila.
So here is your moment mom, the one we've all been waiting for, the one where I say to myself, "I'm turning into my mom!" and even think it might be a good thing.
I just changed Scotty's diaper and found myself singing....

"He's a super stink, super stink--he's super stinky!"
Happy (early) Mother's Day.
2 thoughts:
Clever Meg, clever!
I love the rowing story. :)
Post a Comment