Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Bet

About a month ago Eric starting working slightly more normal hours, meaning that he was at least home on Sundays. While the weather is nice, we like to take a family walk around the neighborhood. Apparently, Eric believes this is relaxation/de-stress time. Scotty, on the other hand, thinks neighborhood walks are a great occasion for conversation. Constant conversation. On one particularly chatty day, I tried everything. We hunted for treasure. We listened for animal sounds. I sent him on "adventure quests" to keep him distracted. Nothing. The mouth just doesn't stop. When we finally arrived back home, Eric mentioned that he wanted to watch a show, and Scotty wanted to join us.

E: Scotty, you can't keep your mouth quiet for more than two seconds.
S: I'll be super quiet!
E: Try to be quiet from the mailbox to our house.
S: (after about five steps) humming. clicking. buzzing. Outright talking.
E: SCOTTY!
S: I promise I'll be quiet!
E: I'll bet you ten bucks you can't just sit quietly for an entire show.
S: How about 70 dollars?
E: Fine. If you can sit quiet for an entire show and not talk AT ALL, I'll give you $70.

I had no part in the conversation, but found it amusing enough to post "The Bet" as my facebook status to see who would win. Not ONE person picked Scotty, because we all know (and love!) the kid. Quiet is just not one of his strong points.

Eric proceeded to watch the full hour of 60 minutes with Scotty perched quietly next to him on the couch. Whenever Eric would pause it, Scotty would turn and excitedly ask: "how am I doing, dad?" He clearly remembered the deal and was keeping his end of it. When I joined them, we re-watched part I had missed, so really Scotty kept his end of the bargain for and hour and a half.

Eric claims it was money well spent.

Last week Eric finally took Scotty to the bank to collect his $70. After a talk about tithing, and setting some aside for his savings account, Scotty started brainstorming all the things he was going to buy. Lots of rootbeer. Bouncy balls from the quarter vending machines. Toys from the dollar store. This kid dreams big :o) Then he remembered the remote controlled helicopters his Uncle Brent has....maybe when you're a bit older than four, bud!

Still, he was very proud of what he picked out.





You earned it, Scotty. And now Eric will take his bets a little more seriously!

4 thoughts:

Janice Richardson said...

That is hilarious! Way to go Scotty! :)

josh said...

Awesome story. Cali

Anonymous said...

We love it!! Both your dad and I voted against Scotty :)

Sarah Ewell said...

Way to go Scotty! Impressive.